Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hurricane Relief

Hurricane Katrina dealt a brutal blow to many along the Gulf Coast. Entire communities have been wiped out. Now, I actually have an idea of what these people are going through. Several years ago, a tornado ripped through my neighborhood. My house was damaged enough that we had to live in an apartment for 3 months. We lost some possessions, although our losses pale in comparison to the losses suffered by Katrina victims. We were so blessed by so many people during that time. Our church friends and family members helped us with clean-up and repairs. The Red Cross and Salvation Army were wonderful, bringing food and drink to us as we were working, as well as helping with other needs. We even had strangers who came up and handed us money. I can't pack up to go to New Orleans or Mississippi to help, but I can donate money to worthwhile organizations. They have people in place who are qualified to offer the hands-on assistance that I am unable to give. Most likely I will donate to the Churches of Christ Disaster Relief Fund and the Red Cross. Both of these organizations were instrumental in getting us back on our feet and I know that they will work hard to help those affected by Katrina. There are other worthwhile organizations, so I encourage everyone to choose one to support.

2 comments:

Tee/Tracy said...

Looks like a lot of people's minds are on the same thing today. It just gets worse and worse doesn't it? Thanks for getting word out about how to help.

Bethany said...

Thanks for getting word out on how to help. I am from the affected area, but fortunately I am not in need of any assistance. There are so many though who do. And you helping my neighbors is very much appreciated!

God bless you!

:D