Sunday, December 04, 2005

Catching up

It sure has been a busy couple of weeks. I guess now is as good a time as any to catch up on all the news.

My friends Mike and Susan came from Texas to visit us for several days prior to Thanksgiving. Susan was one of my roommates in college and we have managed to stay in contact through the years. We often stop to see them on our way to visit my brother in Houston. This was the first time in 17 years (since my wedding!) that they have had a chance to visit us! It was so nice to have them! We enjoyed taking them to a local museum and to several restaurants, as well as just getting to visit.

My brother and his family all came up to have Thanksgiving with us. What fun that was! They stayed at my dad's house so we spent most of our time over there. Emily and Anna stayed over there for about 4 days so that they could have maximum play time with their cousins. They all get along amazingly well, with very few disagreements and squabbles. As for Brian and me, well, we enjoyed having some time to ourselves in our quiet house. As homeschoolers, that just doesn't happen very often. Anyway, we had a nice holiday, even though I ate way too much! On Black Friday, I took my brother and sister-in-law shopping. I know--it's crazy and I don't usually go on that day. But, there were several things they were looking for that were among the ads in the paper. Plus, my brother had never been shopping on Black Friday and he just couldn't believe that people would actually be out shopping at 6:00 a.m. So naive. Anyway, we didn't start until about 7, but he was still surprised at how many people were out.

Brian and I celebrated our anniversary on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We've been married for 17 years! Sometimes I am amazed at how fast time has gone. Anyway, we had a nice evening together. He made reservations at a dinner/melodrama and we had so much fun.

The week following Thanksgiving was also full of activity. Brian left to go on his annual deer hunting trip. He and his brother look forward to this every year. They both had success and said it was one of their most enjoyable hunts. The girls and I stayed busy with school and Scouts. Emily's troop went horseback riding and Anna got to tag along. What fun. It has been years since I have had an opportunity to ride, but, oh, I enjoyed it so! Both of the girls loved it. It would be nice to be able to have our own horses, but alas, the city frowns on livestock in one's backyard.

My cousin, who has been battling cancer for several years, passed away last week. She was 17 years older than me, so we weren't really close. Still, it is so sad. I especially feel bad for my uncle, who had now buried two wives and two of his 4 children, and who is also in pretty frail health.

Anyway, that is what has been going on in my life. Now, I need to finish up school for this semester and work on Christmas decorating, shopping, cooking, wrapping, etc.

2 comments:

Perri said...

Sounds like you have been very busy. sorry about your cousin. Glad you are back.

WeathertopMama said...

I, too, am so sorry for the loss of your cousin.

Congratulations on your anniversary! 17 years is a nice stretch of road...we hit 10 years in September.