Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Trying to be heard isn't always easy, especially when people don't want to listen

Well, my kids had a learning experience this evening. It wasn't one they particularly enjoyed, but nevertheless it is something that will probably stick with them for awhile. I think it was more of an exercise in frustration and futility than anything else, but I hope that they also learned something about trying to make your voice heard.

We attended a Girl Scout meeting--they called it a "Fireside Chat,"--and the topic was about something which was very important to them. Our Council is evidently having some financial problems and one of the ways which they are trying to save money is by closing one of the nearby camps. It just so happens that this is a camp that Emily's troop has been to several times and we love it. It is far enough away from the city that you just are really able to enjoy nature. Anna has been looking forward to the opportunity to go--she just had to wait until she was old enough for the more rustic adventures. This was supposed to be that year.

I won't go into too much boring detail, but the meeting was a total sham, in my opinion. The Board of Directors had already made up their mind and this meeting was pretty much a formality. They wanted to give the appearance of listening to us lowly volunteers and girls, but they really didn't want to hear what we had to say. The thing that made me the most upset, though, was the way they treated the girls. I had called several days ago to make sure that the girls would have the opportunity to speak. My girls took time to write down their thoughts into a speech. Those who were in charge of the meeting pretty much ignored the raised hands of the girls. There were times that they looked right at them and then moved their eyes to someone else and called on them. When Emily was finally called on, she didn't even have a chance to finish her statement, let alone read her speech. So much for teaching girls that they have a voice and that they are valued. Anna never did get recognized. Another girl, whom we did not know, actually got called on. After she finished her short statement, one of the women replied with a very rude comment, which she later tried to explain was meant as a joke. Not funny. I wanted to throttle her (and that wasn't the only time she was rude--she continually interrupted people all evening long).

So, I'm not sure what my girls learned tonight. They came home feeling very discouraged. I will keep trying to encourage them to speak up when they feel something is important. I just hope that this experience doesn't knock them down forever.

1 comment:

Annie578 said...

If they just wanted to get everyone together and make an announcement about it, why didn't they do that, instead of wasting everybody's time? Is there someone you can complain to?