Friday, November 04, 2005

What in the world was I thinking?

Well, I have agreed to teach a geography class for my homeschool co-op next semester. What was I thinking?! Do I really need this pressure? I thought I had this really great idea for teaching it, but now I have to put it together.

My idea is to teach it in kind of a "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" format, although we wouldn't be tracking down criminals. I thought I would give clues at the end of each class about the country we would be studying the next week (all in the same continent for the semester). The students' job would be to go home and figure out what that country is. Then, the next week we would go into more depth about that country, such as geographical location, major geographical features, climate, surrounding countries, and maybe a little history and current events. Then I realized that first I have to go over basic geography stuff like NSEW, looking at maps and globes. AAAGH.

And then I heard about this girl. So, now I have to worry about teaching these kids to predict impending disaster. And all in 12 weeks. Too much pressure.

But, hey, I'm not one to back down from a challenge, so if anyone has any great geography curriculum or other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

3 comments:

Annie578 said...

Hey, geography is fun! Sorry, I don't have any geography ideas, but that Carmen Sandiego thing sounds fun. There might even be some curriculum already using Carmen Sandiego that you might be able to find on the internet.

Sandy said...

OOOh, that sounds educational AND fun! I think they will enjoy geography when presented that way. Good luck!

Laura Talbert said...

I don't have any ideas or suggestions, but I third the "sounds fun" kudos. I would certainly be interested in taking a class like that.
We have a Carmen Sandiego board game and a National GeoBee game too that are lots of fun and make it easy to learn geography when you don't realize you ARE learning geography. I think there's a National Geography Bee website; maybe they will have some good ideas/info.